Accumulation of the amyloid-b (Ab) plaque in the cerebral cortex is a critical event in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Ab peptide is generated by proteolytic cleavage of the b-amyloid protein precursor (APP) at b- and g-sites by two proteases. APP is first cleaved by b-secretase, producing a soluble derivative of the protein and a membrane anchored 99-amino acid carboxy-terminal fragment (C99). The C99 fragment serves as substrate for g-secretase to generate the 4 kDa amyloid-b peptide, which is deposited in the brains of all suffers of Alzheimer’s disease. The long-sought b-secretase was recently identified by several groups independently and designated beta-site APP cleaving enzyme (BACE) and aspartyl protease 2 (Asp2) (1-4). BACE/Asp2 is a novel transmembrane aspartic protease and colocalizes with APP.
Additional Names : BACE (CT), Asp2
Left:Western blot analysis of BACE in human brain tissue lysate in the absence (A) or presence (B) of blocking peptide (2253P) and in mouse 3T3 cell lysate (C) with BACE antibody at 1 µg/ml.
Below:Immunocytochemistry of BACE in 3T3 cells with BACE antibody at 10 µg/ml.
Other Product Images
Source :BACE antibody was raised against a peptide corresponding to 17 amino acids at the carboxy terminus of human BACE.
Purification : Ion exchange chromatography purified
Clonality and Clone : This is a polyclonal antibody.
Host : BACE antibody was raised in rabbit.
Please use anti-rabbit secondary antibodies.
Immunogen : Human BACE (C-Terminus) Peptide (Cat. No. 2253P)
Application : BACE can be used for detection of BACE by Western blot at 0.5 to 1 µg/ml.An approximately 70 kDa band should be detected.
Tested Application(s) : E, WB, ICC
Buffer : Antibody is supplied in PBS containing 0.02% sodium azide.
Blocking Peptide :Cat. No. 2253P - BACE Peptide
Long-Term Storage : BACE antibody can be stored at 4ºC, stable for one year. As with all antibodies care should be taken to avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles. Antibodies should not be exposed to prolonged high temperatures.
Positive Control :
1. Cat. No. 1303 - Human Brain Tissue Lysate
2. Cat. No. 1212 - 3T3 Whole Cell Lysate
Species Reactivity : H, M
GI Number : 6118538
Accession Number : AF190725
Short Description : (CT) Beta-site APP Cleaving Enzyme
1. Vassar R, Bennett BD, Babu-Khan S, et al. beta-secretase cleavage of Alzheimer's amyloid precursor protein by the transmembrane aspartic protease BACE. Science 1999;286:735-41
2. Hussain I, Powell D, Howlett DR , et al. Identification of a novel aspartic protease (Asp 2) as beta-secretase. Mol Cell Neurosci 1999;14:419-27
3. Yan R, Bienkowski MJ, Shuck ME, et al. Membrane-anchored aspartyl protease with Alzheimer's disease beta-secretase activity. Nature 1999;402:533-7
4. Sinha S, Anderson JP, Barbour R, et al. Purification and cloning of amyloid precursor protein beta-secretase from human brain. Nature 1999;402:537-40 (WD0500)