One component of host defense at mucosal surfaces is epithelial-derived antimicrobial peptides. Cathelicidins are one family of antimicrobial peptides characterized by conserved pro-peptide sequences that have been identified in epithelial tissues and some myeloid cells of humans and animals. LL-37/hCAP-18 is the only Cathelicidin found in humans and is expressed in inflammatory and epithelial cells. The presence of these molecules is essential for defense against invasive bacterial infection in skin. Besides their direct antimicrobial function, Cathelicidins have multiple roles in mediating innate and adaptive immunity, such as endotoxin neutralizing, angiogenesis, wound healing and promoting neutrophil chemotaxis and mast cell recruitment. Finally, Cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides qualify as prototypes of innovative drugs that may be used to treat infection and/or modulate the immune response.
Additional Names : Cathelicidin, Cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide, Cationic antimicrobial protein, CAP18, FALL39, hCAP-18, HSD26, LL37
Left:Western blot analysis of Cathelicidin in Human spleen tissue lysate with Cathelicidin antibody at 1 µg/ml. Below: Immunohistochemistry of Catheli-cidin in human spleen tissue with Cathelicidin antibody at 5 µg/ml.
Below:Immunohistochemistry of Catheli-cidin in human spleen tissue with Cathelicidin antibody at 5 μg/ml.
Other Product Images
Source :Cathelicidin antibody was raised against a 17 amino acid peptide near the carboxy terminus of the human Cathelicidin.
Purification : Affinity chromatography purified via peptide column
Clonality and Clone : This is a polyclonal antibody.
Host : Cathelicidin antibody was raised in rabbit.
Please use anti-rabbit secondary antibodies.
Application : Cathelicidin antibody can be used for detection of Cathelicidin by Western blot at 1 µg/ml.
Tested Application(s) : E, WB, IHC
Buffer : Antibody is supplied in PBS containing 0.02% sodium azide.
Blocking Peptide :Cat.No. 4429P - Cathelicidin Peptide
Long-Term Storage : Cathelicidin antibody can be stored at 4ºC, stable for one year. As with all antibodies care should be taken to avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles. Antibodies should not be exposed to prolonged high temperatures.
Positive Control :
1. Cat. No. 1306 - Human Spleen Tissue Lysate
Species Reactivity : H, M, R
GI Number : 39753970
Accession Number : NP_004336
Short Description : an antimicrobial protein
1. Zaiou M and Gallo RL. Cathelicidins, essential gene-encoded mammalian antibiotics. J. Mol. Med. 2002; 80:549-61.
2. Agerberth B, Gunne H, Odeberg J, et al. FALL-39, a Putative Human Peptide Antibiotic, is Cysteine-Free and Expressed in Bone Marrow and Testis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 1995; 92:195-9.
3. Nizet V, Ohtake T, Lauthe X, et al. Innate antimicrobial peptide protects the skin from invasive bacterial infection. Nature 2001; 414:454-7.
4. Koczulla R, von Degenfeld G, Kupatt C, et al. An angiogenic role for the human peptide antibiotic LL-37/hCAP-18. J. Clin. Invest. 2003; 111:1665-72.